There are three grade groups for entries by young people (18 and under):
Young writers can enter any type of writing: fiction, non-fiction, poetry.
Only those 18 and under can enter a young writer category. The entrant will select the grade group applicable to them.
Word limit: 1,500 words.
Participants are limited to ONE entry. There is no fee for young writers in these three grade groups. Younger writers under 18 are eligible to enter adult categories but only if paying the adult fee.
Current College students enrolled in 2019/2020 must enter in college student or adult categories and cannot enter here.
1. General formatting - Entries must be typed, double spaced, in 12-point legible font (e.g. Times New Roman), with margins set at 1 inch on all sides, with 1/2 inch indentations, and submitted as a .doc, .docx, or .pdf.
2. All entries should have a title on the top of the first page. Each following page should have the title (or shortened title) at either the upper left or right corner with the page number.
3. To ensure confidentiality, do not put author's name on manuscript.
4. All entries must be original and unpublished or un-produced. Being posted on a web site is not considered publication if there was no payment involved.
5. Only one prize will be awarded to a winner in any category.
6. Entries are free in the student/young writer categories only.
7. Submissions will be judged anonymously and judges' decisions will be final. Judges reserve the right to withhold prizes in any category if entries do not meet their standards.
8. We will email you at the email address provided. If you do not respond within two weeks of that email, your entry may be disqualified.
9. We do not ask for exclusive submissions. However, please withdraw your submission if it is published or wins another contest prior to May 1, 2020.
People not eligible to enter:
1. First, second, and third place winners of the last two (2) Kay Snow Writing Contests.
2. Officers and board members and their family members, staff and contractors and their family members, chapter chairs and their family members, and program leads and their family members.